Friday, March 23, 2012

Foreign travelers registering with police???

I am a US citizen planning a trip to Dubrovnik in June. I checked the US State Dept web site to make sure I didn%26#39;t need a visa or anything. While a visa isn%26#39;t necessary, it did say that foreign travelers to Croatia must register w/the local police dept within 24 hours of arrival. The site also said that many hotels or booking companies will do this for you. I am curious to know what more seasoned Croatian travelers have done and if you have any advice about this matter. Thanks a bunch!






|||



In 30 years have never had to register with the police! If you are staying in a hotel they will do it for you or if it%26#39;s an apartment the owner will inform the agency. That%26#39;s my experience and never had any problem and we are there every year. So go with the US State Dept%26#39;s advice and enjoy your trip.




|||



I also have never done this. It has always been done by the places we have stayed at.




|||



On our first trip some years ago, we tried to be model visitors and tried to register but the police weren%26#39;t interested. What the authorities are interested in is to make sure you pay the small daily tourist tax. Your hotel or B%26amp;B will record and handle this for you automatically, so its pretty painless (apart from the money). Just remember to keep the receipt. It%26#39;s never happened to anyone I know but there were a few scare stories a couple of years ago when customs at the departure airport asked some tourists for evidence that they had paid the tourist tax. They didn%26#39;t do anything but any little hassle can sour a visit, and its such a wonderful place, you won%26#39;t want anything to spoil your memories.




|||



Thanks so much for all of your insights. I have made my reservation with a guest house and have been told that they will handle this registration for me. Good to know that I need to hold on to proof. I love this website! Thanks again!




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, September 23, 2009

1 comment:

  1. 1984 Buick Estate Wagon AC Compressor
    Hi, cool post. I have been thinking about this topic,so thanks for sharing. I will probably be subscribing to your blog. Keep up great writing!!!

    ReplyDelete