Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dubrovnik to Peljesac to Split

Here is what I want to do and I have a limited amount of time to do it. Does anyone have any good ideas for how I can make this work? I would also really appreciate suggestions on where I could stay. I will arrive in Dubrovnik in the evening on a Croatia Airline flight from Rome. I will rent a car at the airport. I would like to see Dubrovnik, Duba Peljesac and Korcula. I have only 3 nights and 2.5 days to do this. I must return my car to the airport in Split so that I can catch an afternoon train to Zagreb. I know this sounds crazy but I really want to see Duba Peljesac (where my grandmother is from) and since I%26#39;m there I%26#39;d like to see at least Dubrovnik and if at all possible Korcula, although I suppose I could give up Korcula if necessary. This will all take place in late May.




|||



this is doable, all right. Jadrolinija ferry goes from Dubrovnik to Split on selected dates and stops at Vela Luka. So, visit Dubrovnik, go to Duba, Then Korcula and then board the ferry to Korcula. The Jadrolinija web site should have the time table for this.




|||



Drive from Dubrovnik up to the Peljesac and go to Korcula from there. Spend a night there and then get back to Orebic, drive to Trpanj and take a ferry from there to Ploce and drive up the coast to Split to return your car.




|||



Thank you so much for your helpful replies. If you are still looking at these postings I%26#39;d like to ask a few more question. Does anyone know how long the ferry ride from Trpanj to Ploce takes? Does it run frequently in May? I%26#39;m assuming that it is a ferry that takes cars.



Also, do you know what the train ride is like from Split to Zagreb? Is it pleasant for seeing the sights or is it better to drive?



What is it like driving in Croatia (from Dubrovnik to Split and from Split to Zagreb)? Are the roads good? Do people drive fast? Can an American get around pretty easily?



I assume that the road down the Peljesac peninsula is pretty rough. Does anyone have an idea of how long it would take to drive from Duba to Orejic?



Any information is greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.




|||



If memory serves:



- Trpanj to Ploce- somewhere between 1 and 1.5hr.



- In the summer, it runs 3 to 4 times a day - morning, early afternoon, late afternoon. May should fall under the summer schedule, but im not sure. check out www.jadrolinija.hr. Make sure you get there AT LEAST 30min early to get a spot on the ferry.



- Train- if you take the fast train (nagibni vlak), it%26#39;ll take you about 5hrs+ to get from split to zg. if you are interesting in checking out the countryside more than getting to zg in a respectable amount of time (4hrs by car), take the train, but take one during the day so you can at least have something to look at. The trains are nice, and new(er), and if they arent full, could provide an interested view of croatia. Last i went, the cost was about HRK200.



- Driving- on the new highway (split-zg), it%26#39;s VERY NICE. Off the highway, if you stay on the main roads, you should be ok, but practice your American defensive driving skills and you should be fine. On Peljesac, drive defensively to the utmost. If you were to experience any problems, it would most likely be there. The drive from Ston to Orebic is about 1hr, just do it in the daytime. Couldnt tell you from Duba.



- American getting around- If others have done it, then so can you. Just make sure you dont hit a tractor or an old lady crossing the road or drive off the high cliff coming down into Orebic because you were admiring the beautiful view of Korcula.




|||



Thank you SunChaser. That was very helpful information.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, September 21, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment