Wednesday, April 25, 2012

what do you love about Croatia?

I will be in Berlin for business in mid-May and want to take the opportunity to go somewhere new. I%26#39;m thinking eastern Europe for two reasons (1) many countries sound to be in the process of developing their tourism market, and I%26#39;d like to hit some before it gets worse; and (2) the dollar will suck in value and I%26#39;m sure the eastern countries are likely to be a bit more affordable.





So I%26#39;m thinking maybe Croatia, maybe the Czech Republic. I%26#39;d LOVE to hear any thoughts you have on where we should and should not go (about a week to visit).





THANKS!






|||



Hi Gretchen





It would be difficult to see much of both countries in a week. With one week in Croatia, I would concentrate on the Dalmatian Coast and Islands. I would suggest trying to fly into either Split or Dubrovnik and then ferry hopping along the coast via Hvar and Korcula, e.g. two or three nights in Dubrovnik, one or two nights in Korcula, one or two nights and a night in Split. Plitvice Lakes are another highlight of Croatia but they are situated a fair way from Split (half way between Zadar and Zagreb).





On the other hand, you could spend a week in the Czech Republic combining your time between Prague (which you can easily spend four or five nights) and Cesky Krumlov which you could spend a couple of nights. Another place that I really enjoyed in the Czech Republic is Telc which you might be able to combine.





Lurls.




|||



Hi. Croatia and the Czech Republic are really quite distant, so you%26#39;d probably have to choose between one of them.





However, Zagreb in Croatia has some things in common with Prague (they were in the same country not 100 years ago so they do share a lot of architecture, for example) so if you visit one of them, you%26#39;ll get the idea how the other looks like.





I do think that, if you%26#39;re going by car, bus or train Czech Rep. is the choice for you as it%26#39;s much closer to Berlin than Croatia. If you%26#39;re going by plane, it%26#39;s pretty much all the same to you.





If you go to Czech Republic, Prague is the most interesting place there, even though it%26#39;s not really true that it%26#39;s just developing its tourist market - Prague (and Croatian coast, for that matter) are big destinations for quite a while.





If you go to Croatia, most people go to the coast. I%26#39;m not personally a big fan of the (particulary southern) Croatian coast, but I can understand why most people love it. If you%26#39;ve ever been to any of the Mediterreanean countries, they share a lot of similarities so you get the idea. If you%26#39;re looking to see the inland, Zagreb is the most interesting place from where you can make some day trips (Plitvice or Ljubljana, for example).





If you%26#39;re really into seeing yet undeveloped tourist markets, I can recommend Belgrade in Serbia. It%26#39;s 250mi east of Zagreb and it%26#39;s really a great city. Even though I%26#39;m from Zagreb, I highly recommend Belgrade. It%26#39;s bigger, cheaper and much less touristy (even though Zagreb is not a tourist mecca either yet). You can make some great day trips from there (Novi Sad, for example).





Have a great trip!




|||



I am not an expert on Croatia, having visited just this past week to Zadar and Split with a drive up along the coast...BUT





from my short experience, I would not say you will find a better value for your US Dollar there. All the hype I had read that it was so cheap in Croatia was just that...hype. The hotels were priced high for the size of rooms and features and the food costs were the same. Even though this was low season (I was the only guest in one hotel for most of my stay) - the prices were the same as high season.





The locals were complaining that prices keep going up while their salaries stay the same and many of them just don%26#39;t know if they%26#39;ll be able to make it.





I was in Prague for the second time a few months ago - you can find a few more deals on hotels there but, again, prices were not %26quot;cheap%26quot;.





So, I would certainly recommend people visit Croatia if they desire, but not with an expectation of low prices.




|||



1. The ever changing scenery - forest, mountain, lake, hilltop village, town and village by the sea.





2. The clear and clean sea.





3. For us Brits good food at reasonable prices.





4. Croatian brandy, especialy the plum brandy.





5. Good roads generaly uncrowded by our standards.





6. The standard of cleanliness in the cafes, restaurants and toilets (mens room to you).





7. The trout meal in Slunj.





8. Plitvice lakes and Baska on Krk island.





Things I did not like





1. Graffiti in Zagreb.





2. The Croatian national football team.





You can see from my travel map that I am an experienced traveller. Croatia really hit the spot for me and my wife.




|||



Definitely agree that there is not enough time to do both. My husband and I love both countries so that is a difficult one.





What I Love About the Czech Republic





- easy to navigate and drive compared to many countries (especially rural)



- slower and easy going atmosphere



- gorgeous countryside and lovely castles



- Prague is wonderful but overrun with tourists



- culture is very interesting and unique



- great architecture



- tons of great villages with fabulous town squares



- cheap



- Cesky Krumlov is a magical gem



- Cesky Raj area north of Prague is little known and offers beauty, history, architecture, etc. Love it.



- very cheap accommodation. The most we have paid so far is 50 euros per double.





What I Do Not Love about the CR





- I love Prague but detest the crowds. However, it is still one of my favourite cities if you ignore that aspect.





What I Love About Croatia





- my favourite country in the world (besides Scotland).



- My favourite area was Istria followed by Plitvice Lakes and Dubrovnik and islands. And Trogir (near Split).



- love the food stands along the roads selling local cheeses, wines and olive oils



- love the spit-roasted food along roadsides



- love the people



- probably has the most stunning and spectacular scenery I have ever seen (hill towns, coast, islands...)



- some hill towns we have visited are virtually deserted and very, very quiet



- the fresh sea food is fabulous (though can be pricey)



- very cheap accommodation can be found. The most we have ever paid thus far has been 50 euros for a double.



- snorkelling is great.



- truffle hunting is a blast!



- tons of trees and lovely gardens





What I Do Not Like About Croatia



- although I love Dubrovnik the crowds can sometimes get annoying





Man, I could go on and on.





I find both countries to be less expensive than most (except further east, of course). However, Prague and Dubrovnik can be nearly as expensive as other large cities (but still cheaper than London and Paris).





Let us know what you decide! Either way you definitely cannot go wrong. May is our favourite time to travel to both (well, almost anywhere).




|||



Great post about Croatia chefathome. The things you mention are the same things I love about Croatia.




|||



cidercyber said.



%26quot; Things I did not like 2. The Croatian national football team.%26quot;





Brilliant! (and bloody true too). You%26#39;ll get a chance to swing that mood as we are in a same group for the next World Cup.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, September 18, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment