Tuesday, April 24, 2012

One week - Dubrovnik and where else?

I just booked some award tickets for late September 2008 flying from the US into and out of Dubrovnik. From what I have read, a few days in Dubrovnik would be reasonable. Does anyone have suggestions for any other destination(s) in the area to fill the rest of the trip? Thanks.




|||



Im not sure if you would be interested in going to Bosnia or Montenegro for a day each while in dubrovnik. The Mostar tour (Bosnia) is extremely interesting and well worth it. Montenegro is fabulous as well (Kotor). We actually took the local bus and stayed overnight there - a lot poorer than Croatia but extremely interesting.




|||



The island of Brac, and the resort of Bol with the beautiful Zlatni Rat beach gets my vote.




|||



I agree, Bol /Zlatni rat/ is wonderful, but it is not in that area, so, think about Mljet, Peljesac, Korcula, Mostar or Montenegro...



bye



jeanne




|||



While Bol on Brac is a great place to go, I will agree that its a bit out of the way from Dubrovnik. I would say get out to one of the nearer islands, such as Korcula or Mljet. I don%26#39;t think you can go wrong with either of them. As already stated, I think its a great idea to take at least a daytrip to Mostar. It was truly an eye opening experience.




|||



Bol is doable in the same trip as Dubrovnik. When we were there we did



Dubrovnik



Brela by bus



Brac - Bol ferry from Makaraska



Dubrovnik again with day trips to Mljet, Cavtat and Lokrum.





We were only in Croatia for 10 days so you can fit loads in.




|||



You are right. In Croatia you can go to many places in two weeks time since the country isn%26#39;t really big. It all depends on how far from Dubrovnik bobdevens wants to get. I did love Bol, but I also think Korcula would be a great place to stay and a bit closer to Dubrovnik.




|||



I would recommend Hvar. Beautiful island - i was there last summer for a week and then travelled on to Dubrovnik for another week. Absolutely loved Hvar and would highly recommend it for a few days at least.





To be honest, I did a day trip to Bol and found it was very small and not as much to do as there is in Hvar. Also think Hvar is more beautiful and scenic. Thats just my opinion though!




|||



Truthfully, I found Montenegro not to my liking…Especially after spending a few days in Dubrovnik. We drove there and were intending to stay a couple of days. I must have driven about 400 KM round trip in one day, but decided that I wanted to get back to Dubrovnik. Not intended to offend, but it seemed that the level of pride that the Montenegrans take in their country compared to Croatia is completely opposite ends of the spectrum.




|||



It is a little far but split is as important to see as dubrovnik! I know many people that have traveled and I am I in the near future, My trip is Ljubljana(slovenia)- Vienice-Trieste(italy)-Pula(croatia)-Split(croatia) and dubrovnik




|||



compared to Croatia, montenegro is extremely poor - we took a local bus there, and we stayed overnight in Kotor - we found the people extremely friends - very very poor - it is different to Croatia - Croatia has found its feet - Montenegro hadnt.





Montenegro was looking for independence from Serbia - they got it and are not independent.





There was a huge war there - naturally its not going to be shiny and new, but if you stopped to talk to the people and spent a bit of time with them you would realise how lovely they are - they might not have the finest of clothes or money but look beyond that.





We took a taxi back to Croatia - the taximan that brought us first brought us to his house and provided us with fruit and drinks for the journey.





Montenegro%26#39;s are very proud people - pride has nothing to do with money.

No comments:

Post a Comment