Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Is this change of itinerary a good one - Including Mostar?

I had posted this on the Bosnia Forum, but I only received one reply so I thought I would try this Forum.





I do not know how many times I have changed our itinerary because of the ferry/catamaran schedules to Havar and Korcula. (We will be in Split the second week of May.) I have been reading about Mostar and Blagaj, and they sound so wonderful and so much more interesting than the Islands. Since we are not beach people -- love history and the like -- I think that this itinerary for this part of the trip might be better, and easier because of luggage



-- and I would appreciate the opinion of someone who has been there and knows the area.





Take the bus from Split to Mostar and stay two nights and either a day and a half or one full day. Maybe even two full days. (One less day in Dubrovnik) Then either take a bus to Dubrovnik or have a driver take us to Orebic to catch the ferry to spend some time in Korcula. Then take the bus, if there is one, to Dubrovnik either late afternoon or early evening. (I have to check the schedule.) If there is no bus going to Dubrovnik, then stay overnight in Orebic and catch the early morning bus. If we use a driver to take us to Orebic, it would be nice to fit Ston and Mali Ston in there, if we can. As I am writing this, Solona comes to mind. I believe it might be near Mostar, but then it could be near Split. If anyone has been to Solona, I would like to know how much time will be needed to see it in a leisurely fashion.





Also, I noticed a very interesting B%26amp;B in Mostar, Muslibegovic House, which is a museum. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it near the center of town? It appears to be at the top of a cliff.





If I can just get this part of the trip together I think we will be set to go. That is, except to find a day tour to take us to Montenegro on one of the days that we will be in Dubrovnik. If not, I guess we will have to hire a driver to take us.





I am open to any and all suggestions, including a private driver and some good restaurants in Mostar, or anything else that would enhance the trip. For whatever reason, this trip has been so difficult for me to put together. I think it is the ferry/catamaran schedule. If we were going from Dubrovnik to Split, and doing the Islands in between, then this whole itinerary would have been a piece of cake.





As always, I really appreciate whatever help anyone can give me. Without you I could never put this trip together. And it will be put together. There is such a wealth of knowledge on this forum, and willing sharers. Thanks.





ellie




|||



I just think its a great change for you to go to Mostar. I was such a great eye-opener for me and though I love being at the beach, our trip to Mostar was well worth the time. We just spent a day there and we were kind of rushed. I would think a day and a half or two days would be great there. It was great just to wander there, to shop in the Muslim shops, to hear the Muezzin call the people to pray, to see the bombed out buildings--- it was just a great cultural experience for me. Go for it and then get to Korcula! When we were in Mostar we met some other Americans walking the cobbled streets and they had said they were in Korcula and was their favorite place. We were just heading there too and they were right about Korcula. Such a nice, quiet and historical place too. You won%26#39;t be disappointed with Korcula or Mostar.




|||



Thanks, Barrymanilow. You have helped me in the past and you have again.





Mostar really looks so intriguing. Will really try to get to Korcula. If we do not try to do a same day roundtrip (if there is an excursion) to Hvar from Split we should be able to do it. Or we might have to lop off another day from Dubrovnik. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Thanks again for your input and time.





ellie




|||



Hello , I looked at your trip plan , it will be little dificult to do and see all this places. Maybe antother sugestion for you .



Mostar , old town , is soo beautifull , when you se it , you will know that words cant discrabe it. Sarajevo is only 2,5 hour with car away from Mostar and you can also see old town and Bascarsija.



Also , only 40 minutes with car from Split is Sibenik whitch has history and beautiful catedral.From Sibenik is NP Krka (only 30 minutes by car)and NP Kornati - 1000 islands. If you can put this in your plan trip , it would be great. Good luck with it.




|||



GGOGI - Thanks for your suggestions. It sounds great for another time, but this is only one part of our trip, and it is going in a different direction.



Thanks.



ellie




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 17, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment