Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Advice Please on Planning a September Trip to Croatia

Hello everyone. I would like to seek the advice of the resident experts - those living in Croatia and those who have visited the country - concerning my wife%26#39;s and my trip to Croatia.





We are planning to go in September, likely from the middle to the end of the month. We are uncertain, however, how much time to allocate for this trip.





We are interested in seeing as much of the country as possible. Particular sites we are interested in are Zagreb, the Plitvice Lakes, Krka National Park, Zadar, possibly Pula, Split, and Dubrovnik.





Given our interests, how long should be plan to be in Croatia (we%26#39;re thinking 10 days to 17 days)?





What would you recommend being an ideal itinerary (i.e., places to visit), knowing that we likely will start in Zagreb and end in Dubrovnik?





Should we rent a car or rely on public transit? If a car rental, would be penalized for renting a vehicle in Zagreb and returning it in Dubrovnik or Split (given the difficulties travelling by car to Dubrovnik)?





Any and all advice would be welcome. Thank you in advance.




|||



Wow, you have a lot of things planned out. That%26#39;s great! The places you want to visit look OK to me and I%26#39;d recommend this itinerary:





Zagreb - 3 days



Plitvice - a couple of hours-1 day



Zadar - 1-2 days



Krka - a couple of hours-1 day



Split - 2 days



Dubrovnik - 2-3 days, which would make it 10-14 days, including travel between all those places.



Pula would be quite a detour for you as it is quite far from your other locations. If you plan on visiting it, add about 3 days to your trip duration and fit it in between Plitvice and Zadar.





Now, about renting a car... I have no experience in that whatsoever, but public transport to Plitvice and Krka just might be a problem, other places are very well connected.



I don%26#39;t know about if you%26#39;d be penalized, I suppose it depends on the rental company. Also, I don%26#39;t know what you mean by %26quot;given the difficulties travelling by car to Dubrovnik%26quot;. The only difficulty I can think of is the possible lack of car parking, but that should be taken care of by your hotel.





Hope this helps, if you have any further questions, do ask or PM me for further explanation.




|||



Thank you for the quick response, djedradovan.





I do have two questions:





1. My wife and I would like to do some hiking in Plitvice and Krka. Are these parks worthy of a one-day hike (each place)?





2. Are there any other places we should visit? I%26#39;ve read that Hvar is worth visiting? Any other places if we were able to add 2 or 3 days to our trip?





Thank you again for you advice.




|||



Sorry, I%26#39;ve only been to Plitvice and Krka once and I%26#39;m not too much familiar with the hiking possibilites there. As I see on this page: http://www.lineaverdeopatija.com/index.php , there is a 4 hour hiking trail in Plitvice (I remember it vaguely as something quite fun, but nothing special), but I don%26#39;t know about hiking in Krka NP.





About some other destinations, Hvar can be a very interesting destination for a day or two. Day (perhaps two-day) trip from Dubrovnik to Mostar (in Bosnia and Herzegovina) must also be very good, although I%26#39;ve never been there, so I%26#39;m not 100% sure. A day trip from Dubrovnik to Montenegro is stunning, if you have an extra day in Dubrovnik I highly recommend it. I%26#39;ve seen it myself and it%26#39;s really amazing. To sum it up, you can do day tours from pretty much everywhere you go (from Zagreb to Ljubljana (the capital of Slovenia) or Varazdin, from Split to the islands of Brac or Hvar, from Dubrovnik to Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro), so, if you have some spare days, I%26#39;d suggest doing some of the aforementioned destinations.




|||



Thanks again!





Of course I%26#39;ll need to consult with the better half, but here are some ideas. We%26#39;re likely going to start our trip in Genoa, Italy for a few days to visit some friends. Then off to south-central Europe.





Day 1 to 3: Ljubljana (maybe take a day trip to the caves)





Day 4 to 6: Zagreb





Day 7: Plitvice National Park and then drive to Zadar





Day 8: Zadar





Day 9 to 11: Split (with a day trip to Hvar and Brac)





Day 12: Mostar





Day 13: Korcula (or should we do this as a day trip from Dubrovnik?)





Day 14 to 17: Dubrovnik (with a day trip to Montenegro)





Day 18: Fly to Liverpool (via Manchester) to attend a wedding.




|||



Both Plitvice and Krka are exceptionally beautiful places! Plitvice are often regarded as one of the most beautiful natural phenomena in this part of the World and Krka is just stunning. Krka is my personal favorite since it has a fantastic combination of great historic and natural sights.




|||



Hi,





I am also planning a trip to Croatia in October and my itinerary is very similar to yours. I have organised everything through a travel agent which was recommended to me by a friend: http://www.secretdalmatia.com/





They have been nothing but helpful and accommodating with my numerous changes/questions. I can email you my itinerary if you are interested to see what they%26#39;ve come up with for me %26amp; the days spent in each place.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, September 18, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment